Sharon D. Nelson, Esq. and John Simek from Sensei Enterprises, Inc., a digital forensics, information security and information technology firm in Fairfax provide a thought provoking discussion, in lay person language, on an often overlooked asset in an estate, the digital assets. Topics covered include
- what is a digital asset, which can include everything from online bank and brokerage statements, to bill pay accounts, to Facebook, email accounts, pictures, and more
- ownership, access and transfer of digital assets, which is handled very differently by each of the providers,
- lawmakers are only beginning to get their hands around these assets and how to deal with them when someone dies,
- planning that can be done in advance to make it easier for your digital assets to be transferred to your loved ones, and
- tools available to assess the adequacy of your digital assets planning efforts.
Recorded October 2016. Broadcast May 2017