Interview of attorneys Jean Galloway Ball, from Hale Ball in Fairfax, and John F. Boland from Rees Broome, PC in Tysons Corner, regarding the steps to be taken and pitfalls to avoid as you wrap up the administration of an estate. Much has been done to get to this point. Assets have been collected and often liquidated to cash, debts of the decedent have been identified and paid, tax returns have been filed, estate administration bills have been paid, bequests have been paid, filings due the Commissioner have been filed and approved, and much more.
Jean and John caution that the Executor must proceed carefully at this stage, as there are steps that need to be considered and in many cases taken, including
- having the Commissioner hold a Debts and Demand Hearing,
- having the court enter a Show Cause Order
- having the court enter an Order of Distribution,
- obtaining tax clearances from the various tax authorities,
- making final distributions to the beneficiaries
- procuring appropriate documentation from the beneficiaries to protect yourself and to submit to the Commissioner, and
- filing with and obtaining approval of the final account by the Commissioner.
Recorded 11-2015. Broadcast 4-28-2016